REC019: Alissa Barthel – From Punk Rock to Science Lab & Raw Cheeses
17th March, 2017
On this week’s episode I’m joined by my friend Alissa Barthel. Alissa and I met in Oklahoma City when I was teaching at Matthew Kenney’s 105degrees, The Raw Food Academy. Alissa has gone on to do some amazing things with raw vegan cheeses using a base of nuts, probiotics, water, and salt, based on the work she did at 105degrees.
She’s got an incredible background, and we dive into her autoimmune disease and how she found raw food. She shares how raw food has helped and how ultimately it has ended up being a gift and portal through to something amazing. It’s one of the most inspiring stories I’ve heard in terms of listening to your intuition and seeming like the universe has got a plan for you.
What You’ll Hear in This Episode:
- Hear Alissa’s story and the health challenges that she had that led her to change her diet.
- How a food mishap led to Alissa meeting celebrity chef, Matthew Kenney.
- Discover how Alissa’s car accident allowed her the time she needed to pursue her goals.
- Find out how Alissa’s background as a microbiologist really helped her in her new career.
- Learn how Alissa and her business partner, Julie, started working together.
- Hear the story of how Alissa almost fell prey to an international drug smuggling scandal.
- How Alissa created a raw chicken fried steak for a movie shoot with Woody Harrelson.
- And so much more!
More About This Episode:
Alissa Barthel is the Founder and Cheesemaker at Punk Rawk Labs. Her raw vegan cheese company arose from her journey to heal herself with food. It started initially as a blog where she chronicled her efforts to eat healthier after a toxic exposure compromised her immune system and led to some significant complications. Alissa eventually met Matthew Kenney, a world renowned chef specializing in plant based cuisine, under whom she later studied.
We’ve now been elevated to the status of the people who made the Twinkie in Zombieland. Click to tweet
Shortly after becoming certified as a professional chef, Alissa was involved in a serious car crash for which she was in physical therapy for about eighteen months, during which time she perfected PRL’s cheese recipe. After seeing her blog, a store in Manhattan picked the cheeses up, they sold out right away, and the rest is history.
Alissa is a former microbiologist with over twenty years experience in the restaurant and food business. For Alissa, raw vegan food agrees with her immune system issues and is always a base of support for her. She eats a mostly clean diet avoiding dairy, gluten, and processed foods. She is passionate about her company and her journey of healing through food.
Alissa’s Company, Punk Rawk Labs — http://www.punkrawklabs.net/
Punk Rawk Labs on Twitter — https://twitter.com/PunkRawkLabs
Alissa Cohen — http://www.alissacohen.com/
Matthew Kenney, Plant Lab — http://www.plantlab.com/