RCE023: Cyrus Khambatta – An Unconventional Approach to Diabetes
30th March, 2017
On this week’s episode I’m joined by Cyrus Khambatta who has a really interesting story to tell about his diabetes. Cyrus improved his condition with a diet not devoid of carbs, but actually focusing more on carbs. He started eating a high carb diet in the form of fruit, which goes against everything that traditional diabetes therapy advice will tell you. Today Cyrus is helping other people improve their diabetes in the same way.
If you have diabetes or have someone in your life with diabetes and whatever they are doing is not working for them or for you, then you might want to have a really good listen to this episode, keeping an open mind. It is really important to be able to talk about new ideas, other than your own, without feeling threatened by them and to know that one answer may not be right for everyone. In this episode you are going to hear some things that you have definitely never heard before and you are probably going to hear some things that you maybe don’t agree with. So base it all on your own results, have an open mind, and sit back and enjoy our conversation.
What You’ll Hear in This Episode:
- Hear Cyrus’ story, his life as a child, and when he started to experience issues with his health.
- Understand the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes and how to distinguish them.
- Find out why Cyrus was in a major stage of denial for the first year of his diabetes diagnosis.
- Understand why the low carb diet system prescribed to diabetics is designed to fail.
- Learn about the different kinds of fats, and how you can navigate the intake through your diet.
- Understand why a low carb diet caused Cyrus to develop symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Cyrus shares how his lack of energy in exercise triggered his need for change.
- Find out how Cyrus decided to become a low fat, plant-based, whole food eater.
- Hear as Cyrus shares the support he received, even academically, for his new diet approach.
- Find out how Cyrus’ program has helped others not only lose weight, but decrease their medicine intake.
- And so much more!
More About This Episode:
Cyrus received a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry from UC Berkeley in 2012, and taught many classes from exercise physiology to disease prevention. For Cyrus, his goal is to provide others with the tools to understand nutritional science as a whole, without actually needing to be a scientist in the first place. He loves to get people to rethink nutrition from the ground up and to question everything they have learned or read before.
In 2013, Cyrus created Mangoman Nutrition and Fitness to teach others with diabetes how to measure, track, and reverse their insulin resistance through a plant-based diet and strategic exercise routines. Through nutrition education, his exercise coaching, and the personal experience that he has as a person with Type 1 diabetes, Cyrus positively influences the lives of people with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes all around the world.
Cyrus is also the co-founder of Mastering Diabetes, where they coach others to implement a low-fat, plant-based, whole-food diet to reverse insulin resistance, gain energy, lose weight, and reduce their dependence on medication. Cyrus continues to focus on teaching the principles of a truly healthy lifestyle, inspiring others to make intelligent and informed decisions for their own bodies. He believes that disease prevention starts at the plate, and teaches others how to choose a diet that provides them with the energy they need to live a full and healthy life.
Mastering Diabetes — http://www.masteringdiabetes.org/
Cyrus Khambatta’s website — http://www.mangomannutrition.com/
Cyrus on Twitter — https://twitter.com/masteringdib
Cyrus on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/mangomannutrition
Robby Baro on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/mindfuldiabeticrobby