From Issue 7 of News from the Kitchen
For the base
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a food processor, first process cashews to flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and process again.
- Press into the bottom of a 9″ springform pan and place in fridge whilst working on filling.
For the filling
- 3 cups cashews, soaked for 1 – 2 hours
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup xylitol
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup beetroot juice (optional, just for colour)
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour on top of the base.
- Place in the freezer to set. Once it’s set, the cheesecake can be moved to, and stored in, the fridge until ready to eat.
For the clementine gelato
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut butter/oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups almond milk*
- 1 cup clementine juice
- 2 teaspoons clementine zest
- Pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Taste for sweetness; you may need to add extra agave if your clementines weren’t that sweet.
- Pour mixture into a rectangular container and place in the freezer to set. Once set, pass through a juicer with a homogenising attachment on. Alternatively, you can pour the mixture (unfrozen) into an ice cream maker.
*Almond milk is made by blending 1 cup of almonds with 3 cups of water and straining through a nut milk bag or fine-mesh sieve.