This is a wonderful way to use raw swede (rutabaga) as rice. The sweetness of the orange juice and raisins is perfect with the bitterness of the chicory (endive).
You may well of used, or at least heard of cauliflower rice and parsnip rice. In this recipe we’ll be using swede (rutabaga) as a rice. Not only is it something a little different to use as rice, but rutabaga has some powerful health benefits too.
I just love the flavours in this dish! The sweetness of the orange juice and raisins, with the curry powder, set against the bitterness of the chicory (endive), is fantastic.
Feel free to use whichever curry powder you like best. This recipe will work well with a mild spice curry powder as well as something spicier.
Spearmint is preferred over peppermint, since it’s used more traditionally with Indian flavours.
This is a really superb lunch dish, since the chicory (endive) will stay crispy right throughout the morning in a sealed container in the fridge no problem.
If you also want to mix up your cooked and raw foods a little, bake up a sweet potato the night before. Cut the sweet potato down the middle in the morning and fill it with the risotto. Pop it in a lunch box and put it in the fridge for a hugely nutritious and satisfying lunch.
How to Make Curried Swede Risotto
We have of course provided the full recipe below for you to print off and keep. Here’s an overview of the steps…
Curried Swede Risotto
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 1 swede (rutabaga)
- 1 cup cashews (soaked 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp mint
- 5 chives
- 1/4 leek
- 1/2 cup raisins (soaked for 15 minutes)
- 1 red chicory
- 1 green chicory
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Peel the swede (rutabaga) and cut it into chunks around 1" wide.
- Whizz up the swede pieces in a food processor until they break down to look rice-like.
- Transfer them to a nut milk bag in a bowl and squeeze out any excess liquid. Discard the liquid and put the rice in a clean bowl.
- Blend up the cashews, orange juice, curry powder, garlic, ginger and nutritional yeast in a high-speed blender until smooth. Add to the swede.
- Finely dice the mint, chives and leek and stir into bowl, along with the raisins.
- Serve with chicory salad
For more raw food recipes like this, visit our Raw Vegan Recipes index page.