So for this recipe, I’m playing around with a new flavour and am giving you both dehydration and cooking instructions.
Whichever way you do these, they’re so great to have on hand for salads and other simple dishes that need a crunch and pop of big flavour.
A note on the jerk spice seasoning: many jerk spice seasoning come with sugar and salt, so try to get one without, or make your own.
Jerk Spiced Sunflower Seeds
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cloves ground
- 1/4 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 cups dry sunflower seeds soaked for 8 hours and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Mix all the jerk seasoning ingredients really well.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir, so that all the sunflower seeds have an even covering. If you are using a pre-bought jerk seasoning, you will need 3 tbsp of it.
- For the dehydrator version, lay the seeds out on a nonstick sheet and dehydrate for 8 to 12 hours at 46 degrees C (115 degrees F)..
- For the oven version, lay the seeds on a piece of parchment in a baking tray and place in a pre-heated oven at 150 degrees C (300 degrees F) for 40 minutes, stirring the seeds every 10 minutes.
- Once completely dry store at room temperature in a sealed container. If they’re completely dry they’ll be good for several weeks in a sealed container.