Just a handful of ingredients make these delightful Pistachio Five Spice Macaroons. Chewy on the outside and soft on the inside. So good! Dip them in chocolate for an extra level of deliciousness.
I had planned to post a recipe for Blonde Macaroons that I’ve had for years, but have never posted. Searching on my computer, I couldn’t find it anywhere.
But what I got was something much better.
I found a recipe outline for Five Spice Pistachios from Amy that didn’t ever get used for Weekday Raw (we don’t do desserts in that course). So I made a few additions and BOOM, Pistachio Five Spice Macaroons.
If you’re into the idea of simpler raw desserts, check out Raw Desserts at Home.
How to Make Pistachio Five Spice Macaroons
Here’s an overview of how to make these beauties. For the full recipe with measurements, see a bit further down.
- First you’re going to grind your pistachios down into a fine meal in the food processor. We’re using honey, which you can substitute for any other liquid sweetener.
- Next, add in your remaining ingredients except the desiccated coconut. We want to keep that coconut desiccated as it is, no smaller.
- Transfer the mixture from the food processor to a bowl and add the desiccated coconut. You’re then going to mix this by hand.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to form into macarons. I used a medium size one, which made 11 macaroons, plus a tiny bit extra which I ate before it even saw the inside of a dehydrator 🙂
- Get these on to a dehydrator tray and dehydrate for around 6 hours. You might want to go a little longer if you want more chewiness inside.
- You could also go a little further and dip the bases in chocolate. I didn’t temper the chocolate, which would make it shiny and snappy. Tempering also make the chocolate stable at room temperature, so it doesn’t melt.
Pistachio Five Spice Macaroons
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 1 ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup pistachios
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp 5 spice
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- Grind pistachios into a fine meal in a food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients except desiccated coconut and grind again.
- Transfer to a bowl along with the desiccated coconut and water and mix by hand.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form macaroons.
- Dehydrate at 115F for 6 hours which should leave them soft in the middle with a chewy outside.