RCE026: David Hamilton – The 5 Side Effects of Kindness
17th April, 2017
On this week’s episode I am joined by Dr. David Hamilton. He joins us to talk about his book, The Five Side Effects of Kindness. We also delve into the mind-body connection that Dr. Hamilton has uncovered. He has got a fascinating history starting off in pharmaceuticals, finding out about the placebo effect and becoming really fascinated with it. He talks about how when he was younger, a book fell off the shelf called The Magic Power of Your Mind, and he took that out of the library to help his mother.
There are some really beautiful moments in his story where you can point to see that it is exactly what he is supposed to be doing. The benefits that he talks about relating to kindness, relating to mind-body connection and how it goes way beyond positive thinking. We get into talking about discernment in today’s day and age where we are constantly bombarded with information and opinions, and how to find the scientific facts behind them.
What You’ll Hear in This Episode:
- Hear more about David’s background and how get got to the place of using science to inspire.
- David shares the story of how a book fell on his head that helped his mom through depression.
- Discover how David found his obsession with studying and learning about the mind.
- Find out more about how David got into the effect of kindness and compassion on the body.
- Learn about models of kindness and how the biological reaction works within our bodies.
- Understand David’s definition of self-love as an inner sense of worthiness and value.
- Hear David’s ideas on how we can be more kind, and building up a kindness muscle.
- Why consistent kindness has a direct psychological, physiological, and emotional effect.
- Learn about the concepts and philosophies of the science and spiritual link.
- David shares his advice for how to point your mind towards wellness.
- And so much more!
More About This Episode:
Dr. David Hamilton has a first class honors degree in chemistry, with a specialization in biological and medicinal chemistry. He achieved 100% in his third year university degree exam in Statistical Mechanics, which is a branch of quantum physics applied to chemistry.
After completing his PhD, David worked for four years in the pharmaceutical industry, first developing drugs for cardiovascular disease and cancer, then a year managing leadership and change projects. During this time he also served as an athletics coach and manager of Sale Harriers Manchester, one of the UK’s largest athletics clubs. After leaving the pharmaceutical industry, David co-founded the international relief charity Spirit Aid Foundation and served as a director for two years.
“When you have more of an inner sense of worthiness and value, your acts of kindness are cleaner.” Click to tweet
David is now a bestselling author of nine books, and offers talks and workshops that use science to inspire. In his workshop he fuses neuroscience, the mind-body connection, kindness, and philosophical and eastern spiritual teachings. He also writes a regular blog on his website and is occasionally featured in the Huffington Post and Psychologies Life Labs, and is a columnist for Soul and Spirit Magazine.
Dr. David Hamilton — http://drdavidhamilton.com/
David’s book, The Five Side Effects of Kindness — https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Side-effects-Kindness-Better-Happier/dp/1781808139
David on Twitter — https://twitter.com/drdrhamilton
David on Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/DavidRHamiltonPhD
The Magic Power of Your Mind by Walter Germain — https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Power-Your-Walter-Germain/dp/0879800933
Jonathan Haidt — https://twitter.com/JonHaidt