If you ever find yourself in a situation where you don’t know if you’re going to be able to get good quality food – like every time you get on a plane – this is a really great snack to have on hand.
It’ll only work with the young Thai coconut meat, not the brown coconut, so in the store you’re going to be looking for those little white-husked cocos, or it seems to be increasingly easy to find young coconut meat frozen in packets, which is great because all the hard work of cleaning it has been done for you.
You’ll need a dehydrator for this recipe (click here to see my current kit recommendations) but if you don’t yet have one, you could also use a fan assisted oven on a very low heat and adjust the dehydration time to a third or less. I made a video about that here.
Raw Coconut Jerky
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 2 cups coconut meat young Thai coconut meat pieces
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- Make sure your young coconut pieces are free of any husk, set to one side.
- Blend all the marinade ingredients (every ingredient but the coconut) together in a high speed blender.
- Combine with the pieces of coconut with the marinade and leave for a couple of hours, or overnight in the fridge to marinate.
- Arrange the marinated coconut pieces on a nonstick dehydrator sheet and pour any leftover marinade on top of the coconut.
- Dehydrate for 12 hours at 115 degrees F. Will store in a sealed container for up to a week.