A beautiful, fresh tomato soup with herbs a chillies. Slightly sweetened with dates and garnished with avocado, this makes a perfect light lunch.
Mexican flavours are my favourite. I love the mix of smokey, spicy and sometimes a little sweetness. This raw Mexican soup has all of those. If you like the idea of spicy raw vegan recipes, you can add extra chilli to this too.
We’ve garnished this soup with avocado, chives, spring onion, coriander (cilantro) and chilli. For a real treat, you could also add a couple of dollops of cashew sour cream.
How to Make Raw Mexican Tomato Soup
There’s a full recipe below for you to save and / or print, with full instructions. Here’s an overview of how you’ll be making this raw soup…
- Gather together your ingredients, being sure to save some for garnish.
- Get all of your soup ingredients in a blender.
- You can leave out all or some of the fresh herbs to blend in after the main ingredients have been blended. This will give you a brighter colour soup with flecks of colour.
- You’re then going to garnish the soup before eating.
Mexican Tomato Soup
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 2 cups tomatoes
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (soaked for an hour)
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 tbsp red onion
- 0.5 ozs cilantro (coriander) (lower stalks separated from leafy tops) (1/2 a bunch)
- 8 mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño (or adjust amount depending on how spicy you like it)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- ½ clove garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 medjool dates
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 0.3 ozs chives (1/4 of a bunch)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 spring onion (green onion)
- 0.3 ozs cilantro (coriander) (1/4 bunch)
- 1 red chilli
- Optionally set aside some of the leafy coriander tops and the mint leaves. We’ll be blending these in at the end, so we get a speckled look to the soup; if we were to blend them all in from the start it changes the colour of the soup and makes it a bit murky, rather than the beautiful red it can be.
- Blend all the other ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth, then add the remaining fresh herbs and blend for just a couple of seconds to break them down.
- Finely chop the chives, dice the avocado small, finely slice the spring onion and red chili at an angle and roughly chop the coriander. Arrange these on top of the soup in a way that looks pleasing to you.
- Of course, you can use the picture for reference; you’ll notice we also used a few stalks of salad cress and a viola flower.
For more raw food recipes like this, visit our Raw Vegan Recipes index page.