So as I was on Periscope last week, walking you through this recipe, I got trolled. It wasn’t an obvious troll, it could have been a quite honest question. It was the questions that came after, “can you cook jerk chicken?” that made it clear we were dealing with a cave dweller.
They say everything happens for a reason and if that’s true, then it’s this: our troll friend gave me the idea for this week’s recipe.
I’m totally in love with these Jamaican herb and spice combinations. They’ve transformed a regular cauliflower rice (is there such a thing) into a simple, light and fresh accompaniment to the marinated and dehydrated portobello slices.
If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can still get involved in this recipe – just leave them to marinate overnight and they’ll be great. In fact, even if you are dehydrating them, it’s still great to let them marinate overnight if you have time.
Cauliflower are high in fibre and a great source of antioxidants. Here are the top 8 health benefits of cauliflower.
What to have for dessert? Try these beautiful Matcha Truffles.
Jerk Spiced Portobello Mushrooms, Cauliflower Coconut Rice & Mango Salsa
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 2 portobellos large, sliced into 3 or 4 chunky strips
- 2 tsp jerk seasoning
- 2 tsp coconut oil melted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 ginger thumb-sized piece, minced
- 2 spring onions cut at an angle
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp lime juice
Cauliflower coconut rice
- 1 cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 spring onion
- 2 thyme small sprigs, leaves only
- 1 pinch clove
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 mango ripe, cubed small
- 1 tsp coriander cilantro), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine all the Portobello mushrooms marinade ingredients in a bowl (everything except the mushrooms).
- Place the strips of mushroom in the marinade and ideally leave them overnight. You can also ‘get away with’ about an hour of marinating.
- Dehydrate at 46 degrees C (105 degrees F) for two to three hours. As I mentioned in the intro, if you don’t have a dehydrator then just marinate them overnight before serving.
- Pulse all cauliflower coconut rice ingredients in a food processor until ‘rice-like’.
- Combine the mango salsa ingredients in a bowl and serve with the mushrooms and rice.