Are you ready to make a pumpkin pie from scratch? This no bake vegan raw pumpkin pie is a real treat, and yet it’s pretty simple and quick.
It starts off with a cinnamon graham base (all vegan) in which you’ll be pouring a gorgeous pumpkin filling.
We use carrot to boost the flavour and sweetness. This means you don’t need quite as much sugar.
You’ll notice we’ve used optional lecithin. Lecithin is an emulsifier, which means it binds the water and fats/oils. This means you’ll end up with a little more pleasing flavour and texture. If you want to make this raw pumpkin pie and don’t have the lecithin, you can leave it out and still have an amazing raw dessert.
You’ll see I also mention that the nuts for the base need to be dry for the recipe. In raw food, we always advise soaking nuts, as it makes them more nutritious and digestible, since you’re getting rid of the antinutrients, such as phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. You’ll want to dry the nuts before use, so I’d suggest drying them in a food dehydrator if you have one, or an oven on a low heat. The latter will mean you’ll need to keep an eye on them to know when they’re dry, as it’ll happen a lot quicker than a food dehydrator.
Raw Pumpkin Pie
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cup pecans *
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 7 dried apricots diced
- 1/2 cup raisins diced
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 20 minutes
- 1 cup pumpkin flesh peeled & diced
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1/4 cup honey or coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lecithin optional
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 vanilla pod scrapings
- 1 cup coconut butter melted / softened
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice **
- Grind all ingredients in a food processor.
- Press into the cheesecake pan.
- *You’re going to want to use the pecans dry in this recipe. So if you also want to soak them (advised to make them more digestible) you’ll need to dry them before use. This can be done in a dehydrator at 115F, or in an oven on a low temperature.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour over base.
- Set in fridge and allow to set for 4+ hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve with a scoop of your favourite vanilla ice cream.
- **In the UK you can use mixed spice if you have trouble getting pumpkin pie spice