- 2 cups dry sunflower seeds, soaked for 8 hours and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning (or any other favourite seasoning mix)
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir, so that all the sunflower seeds have an even covering.
- For the dehydrator version, lay the seeds out on a nonstick sheet and dehydrate for 8 to 12 hours at 46 degrees C (115 degrees F)..
- For the oven version, lay the seeds on a piece of parchment in a baking tray and place in a pre-heated oven at 150 degrees C (300 degrees F) for 40 minutes, stirring the seeds every 10 minutes.
- Once completely dry store at room temperature in a sealed container. If they’re completely dry they’ll be good for several weeks in a sealed container.
You can buy jerk seasoning, but it tends to have a lot of salt and often sugar too, so it’s better to make your own. It’s also very simple to put all of these spices in a jar together, so you have your own spice mix ready to go.
If you do decide to go with a pre-bought jerk seasoning, then you’ll need to reduce the tamari right down, as it will be too salty.
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper