Chocolate Torte With Whipped Cashew Cream

• 1/2 cup cashews
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon melted cacao butter
  • 1 teaspoon agave
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  1. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until they bind.
  2. Press into a 9″ springform cake pan and place in the fridge to set.

For the filling

• 1 cup Irish moss paste*
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1 1/2 cups cacao powder
  • 3 cups grated or chopped cacao butter, which has then been melted
  • 1 cup agave nectar
  • >1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon tamari
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and pour on top of the base.
  2. Leave in the fridge to set.

*Irish moss paste can be made by soaking 1 cup Irish moss in water for 3 – 5 hours and rinsing THOROUGHLY until rinse water turns clear. (There’ll be a lot of sand in the moss.) Then blend the rinsed moss with 2 cups pure water in a Vitamix until completely smooth. Leave to set in the fridge if not using straight away.

Chef’s tip: Add 1 drop of peppermint essential oil to the filling mixture for a mint chocolate variation.

For the cream topping

• 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons Irish moss paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon macadamia oil (optional)
  1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
  2. Serve with chocolate torte and fresh berries.

j

FREE PDF DOWNLOAD

Click Here to Download the Recipe PDF

Just click here and enter your name & email

Want to know when we publish a new recipe?

Enter your name and email to get an email every time we publish a new recipes.

...PLUS, I'll send you my 10 Most Popular Recipes as an eBook, totally free.

99 Comments

1. Janeen

Hi Russell

A lot of recipes use agave nectar and I am looking for a healthy substitute.

Ive used raw honey but thats quite thick and sometimes not easy to blend to right consistency. What would you recommend using as an alternative?

What are your thoughts on coconut nectar and stevia as an alternative?

2. Pingback: Raw Chef’s recipe for raw choc cake | Bricolaged

3. Denise S
    Posted

I love your site and all the work you’ve put into it! I have to say your are the nicest, most humble of chefs! You are polite, accommodating and attentive to your readers. Thank you

4. Denise S
    Posted

Goodness.. this sounds delicious.. makes me salivate! Is this an inordinate amount of FAT between the cacao butter, nuts, and oil?

5. Inés
    Posted

Hi Chef, Im super new in all de raw world, and very thankfull for your wonderfull job. Im wondering about the soda siphon , like ISI SIPHON , in to the raw food.

is suitable? somehow be modified the food, in NO raw

Thank you!

6. Vanillka

Hello Raw Russel!
    I am a huge cooking enthusiast and i definitely adore this site and have so much to enrich my experience with!

Since I am living in Bulgaria, I hadn’t heard of Irish Moss before and when I googled it, I now know what it is 🙂

My question is- what is the reason that you add it in the cream? Nutrition, taste, consistency ( may I substitute with agar-agar) or?

I’ll be glad to hear from you and make this cake at home with proper substitute of the moss ?

Cheers, Vania (Vanillka)

7. Helen Parkinson
    Posted

I think I might have already asked a question about Irish Moss but not sure. I am in New Zealand and here Irish Moss was always a medicinal syrup that my grandmother would administer. It contained alcohol. I have looked for and asked in heath-food stores here about the Irish Moss that you are using here. I have looked online at NZ raw food suppliers and they do not stock it. I know it is available online from overseas but I am pretty sure there would possibly be some import and quarantine restrictions on bringing this product into the country so am unsure about ordering online because of this. Can you please suggest something else that can be used instead. Thank you.

8. jun
    Posted

With the controversy surrounding agave and whether it’s good for you or not, I’ve been hesitant to use it. Can I substitute something else for it in this recipe? Would coconut palm sugar work? If so, will it dissolve when mixed? Thanks!

9. Leslie Cooper
    Posted

I started to order the ingredients for this dessert and my guess is that it would cost about $80 to make. The cacao butter seems to be $50 for 14 oz, which, according to a web converter, would be 1.8 US cups. I imagine this might give you the 3 cups needed for the recipe once it is grated, but that is only the beginning of the shopping for this. Have I got something wrong? The dessert looks and sounds fabulous, and I can get powdered Irish Moss.

• Russell James
      Posted

Hi Leslie, the measurements don’t work out like that, because you’re trying to convert the weight of something into a volume.

It’s like assuming that everything that you measure into a cup weighs the same. Does that make sense? Think of the difference in weight of a cup of feathers to a cup of steel. Both the same volume but different weights 🙂

So…

I happen to know that 1 cup of grated cacao butter weighs 4oz. The only way you can know that is to actually weigh a cup of cacao butter.

So the cake should cost no where near $80, because 14oz of cacao butter would be enough to make 3 1/2 of these cakes.

10. Mae
    Posted

I am confused is Irish moss actualy a moss or is it as the Cooks Thesaurus ( http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenGelatins.html

) says it is -( I cut and pasted it from their site.)

Irish
    moss

isinglass Pronunciation: I-zun-glass Notes:
    This gelatin comes from the air bladders of sturgeon and other
    fish. It’s sometimes used to clarify wine. Substitutes:
    gelatin OR carrageen

• Russell James
      Posted

The link for irish moss on that page appears in the wrong place. You can tell because in that piece of text you pasted here, it says, “isinglass Pronunciation: I-zun-glass” so they are talking about isinglass, not irish moss, which is a seaweed.

If you look at the top of that page, they have irish moss and the description under ‘carrageen’.

11. Julia
    Posted

Hi Russell, thanks for teaching me so many things about raw foods and their preparation! I’ve tried many of your recipes and have loved them all!
    Today was supposed to be the first time for me to make irish moss paste. I don’t have a Vitamix, just a regular blender, which works perfectly fine for smoothies and even nut-creams and nut-cheeses. But I can’t produce a decent looking irish moss gel with this blender. I’ve soaked the moss overnight, rinsed it, cut it in smaller pieces and blended about 1 cup of the moss with 2 cups of water. After a lot of blending, the moss seems to be almost dissolved but the consistency is still more like water than gel… Maybe I did something wrong? Could it be just the wrong type of blender? Maybe you’ve got some ideas….
    Thanks a lot! 🙂

12. Rosied55
    Posted

Not only heart-opening. Very ‘When Harry Met Sally’. 😀 Roll on my birthday – it’s going to be my treat-to-self.

13. Ana Croitoru

Hello,

Regarding of irish moss in deserts. I don’t want to use irish moss but I have troubles about filling  texture;it’s quite fluid. Please, let me know what else I should use to get a better self standing filling.

The second question. Can I use in dessert irish moss or psyllium seeds if the kids is only 3 and 2 age?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Kind regards,
    Ana

• Russell James

Hi Ana,

If you don’t want to use irish moss for this, you can use cashews and water blended to a 2:1 ratio, ending up with the same volume as the irish moss would have been.

You can certainly use irish moss for kids.  I would check with a natural doctor or nutritionist on the psyllium.

14. Vittoria
    Posted

Hi Russell, thanks for this recipe. One word about cashews, which I discovered to my dismay, that they make me break out in hives….Did you know they are toxic? Belong to the same plant as poison ivy? I ate them every day in a  smoothie until I started scratching my face (broke out in red, itchy patches) and realized looking online that they are toxic. Bummer, I love them!  I have been using macadamia nuts instead, but they are so much more expensive. Just wanted to put it out there, as there no mention in the raw world about the possible  reaction to cashews (I have no allergies of any kind, so this took me by surprise). Thanks for all your amazing creativity and fabulous recipes!

• Russell James

Hi Vittoria,

Thanks for sharing your experience, in the event it might help someone else.

I was aware that the insides of the shells are poisonous, but they are removed by the time most people get to them, so it sounds like you had some kind of reaction to something else in there.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Macadamias are a good alternative; also in some recipes almonds and even pecans could be used.

15. Gabrielle
    Posted

When I see irish moss in raw recipes (usually US chefs) it’s always colourless but in the UK it seems that the only kind you can buy is the purplish one which gets colourless only at the ends. I’ve tried this a few times & you can never get rid of the fishy smell no matter how long your rinse it & it always comes out pink, and usually with bits left in it because the ends are pretty tough no matter how long you soak it. Do you have any advice on using irish moss in the UK, or would you use the flakes as other posters have here? Thanks.

• Russell James

Hi Gabrielle,

Yes, I’ve used that Irish moss before too, but I’m not a fan for the reasons you mentioned.

I’ve always ordered it from the US when I’m in the UK because a little does go a long way.

• Gabrielle
        Posted

Thanks for replying! It’s good to know that it wasn’t just me doing it wrong – I’ll try the purejoyplanet site for starters & see if they ship here, I really want to try some out.

16. Bambino 888
    Posted

I can’t get raw cacao butter, can I substitute it with just coconut oil? Or can you suggest any other substitute. Thanks.

• Russell James
      Posted

Coconut butter would be the best option, but coconut oil would also work as long as you keep in the fridge right up to serving, as coconut oil is not as firm as cacao butter.

Where are you based?  You can get cacao butter online in most places.

17. Pajo

Hi and HELP
    !
    Thanks for sharing the recipe, I’m trying to make the torte it at the moment for my wife’s birthday cake (her birthday is in a few days).  I managed to get some Irish Moss but it is flaked.  I’ve just started soaking a cup of the flakes it but it looks like a huge amount now that it has started to expand.

Should I have been using less of the dry flaked Irish Moss or are the quantities the same?

At this point it would be really helpful if you could either give me the quantity of dry flaked Irish Moss I should use to make the gel or let me know how many cups of soaked Irish moss I should combine with how much water in order to make my gel.
    Thanks

• Pajo
      Posted

Well I went ahead and used the full amount of Irish Moss to make the gel as described in the instructions.  It all worked out great.

I used flaked Irish Moss (that’s all I could find) that elsewhere on the net it says not to use, in the end everything was fine.  It did however take a lot of rinsing to get rid of the salt, sand and smell.  After it had all been soaked for 5 hours and thoroughly washed, the quantity reduced by a fair amount as a lot of the bulk was caused by gel. Once the torte was made, you couldn’t tell that there was seaweed in it and it set perfectly.

18. Wildflowerbelle
    Posted

Hi there I was just wondering about the specifics of nuts in all of your recipes. If not noted as soaked, then you call for nuts dry? Same with sundried tomatoes, will it say soaked? I would assume to always soak nuts and sundried tomatoes, but i think here there are some recipes you do not…
    Thank you for sharing all these AMAZING recipes!!!

• Russell James
      Posted

Yes, if the nuts are not listed as soaked, use them dry.  SD tomatoes are different.  If you need to soak them to make them easier to blend, based on the blender you’re using, then feel free to do that.

19. Pingback: Raw « Geek Ever After

20. Miriam Domaryd

Hi Russell!

I’m brand new to Raw Food and this will be the very first raw food recipe that I try. I have a couple of questions for you (possibly dumb!). Do all cashews that are called for in this recipe need to be soaked ahead of time or should I only soak the cashews that you specify need soaking? Also, can I substitute dates for the agave nectar?
    Thank you for taking your time to address our questions, and for making recipes available. I can’t wait to try this one!!

21. Brenda Burns, Barefoot Market
    Posted

Russell, I made that the Chocolate Torte for Scott’s birthday and it was such a big hit.  Everyone started asking me how I did it and what was in it, and just raved.  I referred all of them to your website for detailed instructions.  Love your recipes so much.  After trying recipes for a long time, I knew that things could actually taste good and look good too.  Thank you, thank you.

22. BEth carbONE
    Posted

amazing!! i think this might have to be my birthday cake this year!! 🙂 what a perfect way to ring in another magical year!

23. Andrea
    Posted

What is Irish moss exactly? I live in ireland and have lots of moss in my garden grass as i don’t use weedkillers etc, is that the same thing?!

24. Simone
    Posted

Hiya Russell, I made your torte at the weekend. I had bought irish moss recently, so I thought I’d make my own paste as described in your recipe. However, the final torte mix was super runny and even the leftover irish moss never set in the fridge. After about 6 hours I transferred the torte from the fridge to the freezer and we had it as a delicious ice-cream torte a couple of hours later. My boyfriend absolutely loves it (and he’s far from being raw!). Guess I have to work on making the irish moss paste!

25. Castle27
    Posted

Do you have any suggestions as to where I can get the sun-bleached Irish Moss? I do have Irish moss here, but it is light brown in the bag/

26. Pingback: Chocolate Indulgence… Guilt Free! : iTransformTV

27. Justagirl_1955
    Posted

Hi Russell, I have irish moss powder instead of the whole irish moss. What amount would you suggest using for this recipe? It looks fabulous and I am anxious to try it.

28. Deanne
    Posted

Hi Russell, I can't get Irish Moss paste here in Singapore. But we made your choc torte yesterday and substituted with another cup of cashews instead. It tured out absolutely awwwesome!!! Just wondering though, is there a better substitute for Irish Moss that we can try next time?

29. Pingback: Raw Food Revolution « Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well.

30. Christine
    Posted

looks fabulous- what could i use instead of coconut oil? I have been raw for three years and found that I feel better omitting the coconut from me recipes. Also, what could I substitute for bananas- love that creamy texture- but they don't 'do my body good'

• Russell James Raw Food
      Posted

You could just leave the coconut oil out of this recipe.

Bananas – there aren't any in this recipe! 🙂 If you're looking for a general banana substitute then it really depends on the recipe it's in and what it's there for.

• Tess

Hi Russell 🙂

Any advice on using agar agar instead of Irish Moss? I’ve tried dissolving it in tepid water before and using it in raw recipes, just wanted to check if you’ve had any experience with it and what you would advise. Grateful for any help, thanks!

Tess

31. Pingback: Raw Chef’s recipe for raw choc cake « Zizzie'sTahini

32. Pingback: Raw Chef’s recipe for raw choc cake « Zizzie'sTahini

33. Pingback: I’ve Been Having A Lot Of Fun With Raw Chocolate! — High on health

34. Tanne

Hi Russell,

I really wanna make your chocolate tarte but where do I get the irish moss – do you have an online store you buy from?

Merry x-mas,
    Tanne

35. Gwyneth Lee
    Posted

Caocao butter is not available in my country. Is there any recipe or substitute for it? Thinking of making it on Tue. Thanks Russel.

36. armanda
    Posted

Irish Moss is not available in my country (landlocked African country) Is there anything else I can use a substitute. It is my birthday this Saturday and I would love to treat myself to this delicious looking torte.

From Russell: Just substitute for the same amount of cashews. Have a great birthday! 🙂