A gorgeous, decadent and filling tart for 6 to 8 people
This is the first of the filling recipes for our Flaky Pie Crust.
Note: The nutrition information is just for the filling. You’ll need to add that to the nutrition info for the pie crust too. Both are assuming 8 portions.
It’s a delightful mix of flavours that it really needs to be made and tasted to be believed. It’s actually very simple, as you’ll see from the video below.
The heirloom tomatoes will really make a difference for this, but if you don’t have them, go for the best looking tomatoes you can get your hands on.
You’ll see in the instructions that we use some herb salt, which is a great addition to have in the cupboard, but if you don’t have any, you can use regular salt.
Raw Tomato & Basil Tart
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 1/2 avocado
- 3/4 cup cashews soaked for 1 hour and rinsed
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted or softened
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ozs fresh basil optionally blanched for 1 min
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tomatoes medium size
- 2 teaspoons thyme fresh
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pinches salt option to use herbed flaked salt, such as rosemary
- 1 courgette small, cut into ribbons
- 4 macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Blend the tart filling ingredients until smooth. Depending on how fibrous your avocado is, you might need to add a little extra water to get it smooth.Optional: blanch the basil leaves in hot water for a minute. This will result in a much nicer colour for the basil, which will translate to a more vibrant colour for the tart filling, without it discolouring.
- Pour the filling into the flakey pie crust and place in the fridge for a 4 hours to set. It will benefit from sitting in the fridge overnight to really set up properly.
- Mix the tomato salad ingredients in a bowl right before serving and add to the top of the tart.
- Grate the macadamias on a fine grater, such as a Microplane.
- Mix in the with nutritional yeast and salt. Sprinkle on top of the tart.